6.29.2010

another camping weekend

We finished up another weekend of camping for our family. I headed out to Lake Pahoja last week Monday to reserve camping spots. I’m sure that I looked like quite the site as I’m staking down tents in my dressy work clothes. Nevertheless, Monday afternoon I staked down our spots that would be our sites for the next two weeks.

We headed out there with the camper on Friday late afternoon. Rod and the boys, along with another set of friends met us out there. I have enjoyed camping so much more since we got a new camper! I actually look forward to going now!

As usually we had a low key weekend . . . besides the big storm that decided to blow through on Saturday night, but I’ll get to that in a minute. Friday night was low key. Saturday morning was low key. The guys all went fishing and while they were gone the kids helped me prep some food for supper on Saturday night. I stuck a beef brisket in the dutch oven and let it cook all day. Along with a pot of Al’s beans . . . it was great!

Our neighbors came up to visit us and do a little fishing with Roger while the girls came swimming with me and the kids.

Sweet MadiIMG_9678 - 1

Camryn, Mel, and Callie IMG_9682 - 1  IMG_9696

After a much needed swim in the lake it was time for a great supper with friends. BBQ beef brisket, Al’s beans, fresh fruit, and cornbread. Yummy!!

Roger was watching his phone fairly closely because of the impending weather. It was just a matter of time before the storm hit, although at one point we were fairly hopeful that it would miss us. No such luck! It hit us with a vengeance. Not sure that a campground is the place I’d like to be in one of those summer storms. We sat for a short minute trying to decide if we would stay in the camper and ride out the storm or head to the bathrooms. We decided it would be better to head to the bathrooms at the beginning of the storm instead of changing our mind in the middle of the storm and have to head out with the kids. For anyone who is familiar with a midwest storm . . . we definitely would have been headed to the basement for this one if we had been at home. It rained HARD! The sky turned green (those of you from the midwest know what I’m talking about). Then the winds came and it blew HARD. We hung out in the campground bathrooms for about 30 minutes and then headed back to the camper in the lighter downpour of the backside of the storm. After the rain finished we made our way out of the camper to check out any damage around the area. I found Roger and Rod with a couple of the kids enjoying the beautiful sight of a rainbow. God’s promise to us. What a fitting end to our somewhat crazy night.

On Sunday morning the kids headed to the dock to enjoy a little fishing.

IMG_9704  IMG_9710IMG_9726  IMG_9712 Zachary waited patiently time after time as Kolby caught a little fish like the one above, took it off the hook, and handed it to Zachary. He would walk to the end of the dock and throw each fish back in. Kolby made Zachary’s day!IMG_9717 IMG_9718 IMG_9722 IMG_9724

Zachary throwing fish

No comments: