1.09.2009

Good friends

For the last several years (maybe 9, I'm not really sure), we have gotten together every December with our friends Matt & Joy. Our friendship goes back even further, but we started a tradition with them about two Christmas' before Roger and I were married. When we started this tradition it was just the 4 of us and we would make Christmas cookies and decorate them. Matt and Roger always found a way to make us laugh the entire night. Through the years kids have been added to the picture. First was Taylor, who is now 6, then Callie (5), Aiden (4), Kya (1), and Zachary (1). We are finding it harder and harder to find a time each year to get together (last year we didn't get together at all considering that Kya was born in mid-November and I was on bedrest with Zachary until mid-December), but this year we found December 31, as a free night for both of our families. So, we didn't get Christmas cookies made or even gingerbread houses as we had initially discussed, but we were able to eat some pizza and play Wii with some great friends. Now, Matt and Joy live in the same town with us, go to the same church, and Matt and Roger are business partners . . . you would think that we could find some time during the year to get together! We don't spend a lot of extra time with Matt and Joy, but what I have appreciated about our continued friendship is that we are always welcome in their home. It's that old friendship that isn't going to die anytime soon even though we don't spend a lot of time together on a regular basis. We've had rough patches throughout our 10+ year friendship, but we've worked through those and I love the history and traditions that we've made with them. Watch out guys . . . our boy might be after your girl pretty soon!

1 comment:

A House FULL of Grace said...

Great post, Lori. God is so good at giving us the people we need in our lives. I've been especially thankful for you this week. We have so much to catch up on. I was on bedrest with both Aiden and Lydia...would love to hear your story...soon!