We got together for the Van Beek Family Christmas last Saturday, but the weather wasn't great, so we didn't do the entire Christmas thing. Roger's uncle and his sister and her family weren't able to make it, so those who were able to make it came to our house and hung out together.
One thing that we did with the kids was to send them on a scavenger hunt for 7 packages that I had hidden around the house. After finding each present we sat down and I read a poem after each package was opened.
Introduction
In the beginning God started to plan
To bring about Christmas and it would be grand!
How he would start a gift giving tradition
I'll tell you the story, so please pay attention
Gift #1
God sent the angel, Gabriel, with some good news of great joy
Mary was going to have a baby - it was to be a boy
At first, she was very confused and afraid
But Gabriel said, "This is a baby that God has made"
You are to name him Jesus, for He is God's son
The Messiah promised - He is the One!
Gift #2
God had a plan for Mary's life - He knew it all along
After talking with the angel, Mary sang this song:
"My heart is full of joy
I am carrying a little boy
God has done great things for me
His humble servant I will be"
Gift #3
Now Joseph was a righteous man
No one would've blamed him if he ran
An angel appeared in the middle of his strife
He said to Joseph, "Take Mary as your wife."
Gift #4
Since there was no crib for a bed
I was placed in a manger instead
A tiny little baby, no one would have guessed
Through me, all people would be blessed
For a great big purpose I was meant
God's gift from heaven, I was sent
Gift #5
We were minding our own business on a long, lonely night
Imagine our surprise to see such a sight
The heavens were filled with glory from above
Angels were singing about how God shares His love
So off to Bethlehem we went
To see the baby God has sent
Gift #6
We 3 kings from orient are
We found Jesus by following a star
We came to bring Him His birthday presents
The best we could do was gold, myrrh, and incense
Gift #7
Do you think God wants your dolls or ponies?
Do you think God wants your Lego's or puzzles?
No, there's only one gift God wants at Christmas time
It won't cost you a quarter, nickel, or a dime
Just peek inside and you will see
The gift God wants from you and me
Below is a picture of the kids finding a mirror in the bottom of the last package.





1 comment:
We do a similar story with our kids and they love it. Glad you had a good Christmas. I miss you!
Post a Comment