8.25.2009

It’s official – she’s a kindergartner!

Callie Jo had her first day of kindergarten today. Let me tell you that I am so proud of her! She had a great first day . . . or so she tells me. Momma on the other hand was a little more anxious and maybe even a little teary about the situation.

On Monday night, we headed to school for the Open House. We had the opportunity to meet Callie’s teacher and explore her classroom a little. We brought in her backpack filled full with all the necessary supplies.

IMG_7121 I had already forewarned the teacher that we could have a really shy little girl on our hands, so she might have her work cut out for her! Of course she hid behind me and clung to my leg until she started to explore the room with her dad. 

IMG_7122

IMG_7125 

By the time we got home from the Open House I was about ready to have my own little meltdown. I’m so emotional about all of this and I have no idea why!!! I’m so excited for her to go to kindergarten!

This morning she quickly ate breakfast and was ready to go with plenty of time to spare. I gave her a little necklace with a butterfly on it. I tried to have the discussion with her about being a butterfly and spreading her wings in this new adventure, etc., etc. Yeah, she really didn’t want to listen at all! She was already on to the next thing! I also gave her another little item to tuck in her pocket and squeeze whenever she was nervous or scared. It was a little reminder to her that momma, daddy, and Jesus loved her very much!

IMG_7127IMG_7128 

I was so nervous for her. I was afraid that she wasn’t going to get on the bus or would be apprehensive about getting on. Once we headed to the neighbors and she and Nyiah saw each other . . . well, any apprehension went straight out the window! Goofy girls!

IMG_7129

IMG_7131 IMG_7132

In no time at all I realized she was gone and I never really got to say goodbye to her. I was doing all that I could to keep from crying as the bus pulled away.

All day I wondered if she was going to find her classroom once she got off the bus and got into the building. She had a couple of turns and a long hallway to go down. I was imagining this little kindergartner wandering the halls too shy to ask for help. I shouldn’t have been worried Nyiah and the other neighbor girl, Carsyn, walked Callie to her classroom so she wouldn’t be lost. That’s enough to make me cry!

Of course, just to confuse the kid . . . she wouldn’t be riding the same bus home, but would ride a different bus to the sitter’s. I left work so I could see her get off the bus and I wanted to hear first hand how her day was. (** I am so blessed to have an understanding boss!)

She got off the bus and ran up the driveway beaming!

IMG_7136 She told me that she had lots of fun and that she really liked school. She told me that she even talked once. Go Callie! I told her that I was so proud of her! It was all I could do to choke back the tears.

My little girl is growing up!

4 comments:

Alissa Kroeze said...

Cute pictures! I hope she had a great 1st day. Love the new blog too, very cute

Nikolyn said...

you are an amazingly bonded, supportive, thoughtful, healthy, proud mom. I'm proud of you. Looking forward to lunch tomorrow. Love you-Niki

Mom2Bs said...

WooHoo Callie!! It is the strangest feeling "letting go", God has Callie in His hands, and Callie will do awesome!!
Have a great week!
Blessing's!

Joyce said...

I'm so proud of you mom! You did awesome! It is tough. I remember Karla's first day like it was yesterday... and the bus driving past with my baby girl instead of dropping her off... and me in hot pursuit in my car! Never did trust busdrivers after that. It will get easier.... until the baby starts. :(